In 1918 Dr. H. Black was approached to take charge of the X-ray department, with Mr W. Meggeson the dispenser, acting as the radiographer. Today the staff consists of a part-time radiologist, and two radiographic staff [1 being part-time].
The work performed may be divided into three categories: pre-operative screening, investigation of systemic conditions where there is ocular involvement,and casualty work.
Specialities of the department include the localisation of intra and extra-ocular foreign bodies, and dacryocystograms. Most patients referred are from the district, but some come from the West Midlands region and some from other regions.