The pharmacy was in existence prior to 1884 although at the time of the move to Church Street the staff consisted of only a single dispenser. By 1983 the number of staff had increased to 11.
The department has a very large out-patient work load dealing with approximately 60,000 prescriptions per year.
The manufacturing laboratory prepares non-commercially available eye drops, injections, and solutions, approximately 68,000 units are produced each year.
The service provided is mainly for the district, but eye drops are also sent to other hospitals in the region, and to retail chemists, generating revenue for the hospital.