Although a room was set aside for pathological investigations in 1884, the hospital did not have the services of a pathologist until 1913: before that date tests had been performed by the dispenser, and reports issued by the consultant surgeon. It was not until 1926 that Dr. E.W. Assinder was appointed on a part-time basis,from that date the department gradually developed until in 1963 a Regional Consultant Pathologist was appointed. At present the department has a staff of eleven, and comprises of haematology, microbiology, and histology laboratories; the latter providing a regional ophthalmic pathology service, although specimens have been received from as far afield as Australia, India, East Africa and Canada.