Hospital records show that by the early 1920’s a hospital training scheme was in existence with prizes of one guinea and ten shillings and sixpence being awarded to the two best nurses in each intake.
In 1952, Ophthalmic Nursing became a recognised speciality with the setting up of the Ophthalmic Nursing Board for Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The hospital was inspected and approved by the new board as a recognised and Ophthalmic Nurse Training School.
At present courses are available for the Ophthalmic Nursing Diploma for Pre-registration and Post Registration Nurses, and the Ophthalmic Proficiency Certificate for Enrolled Nurses. There are four intakes annually and at present 36 students in training.