In common with the Biochemistry and Retina Departments, the Migraine Clinic evolved from the Research Department. Between 1948 and 1949 Dr. K.M. Hay established the department as a separate entity. It is one of only a few provincial clinics and offers a regional service. Treatment involves not only the use of drugs, and diet, but also psychological techniques. A number of innovations have been established by the department and at the present time research is being carried out into the biochemical aspects of migraine.