- Accident and Emergency
- Birmingham Behçet’s Syndrome Centre of Excellence
- BMEC Clinical Research Facility
- BMEC Surgical Skills Facility
- Day Surgery Unit
- Eye Clinic Liaison
- Inflammatory Eye Diseases and Immunosuppression
- Inpatient Eye Ward
- Laser Treatment
- Medical Illustration
- Medical Retina
- Neuro-Ophthalmology and Adult Strabismus
- Paediatric Opthalmology
- Patient Transport Services
- Pre-Operative Assesment
- Private Patients
- Visual Function
- Work Experience
The Operating Theatre Department at BMEC comprises of four individual operating theatres, three of which are situated in the main Operating Theatre Suite on the first floor. A fourth theatre is located within the Day Surgery Unit nearby. The main theatre area also has a large post-op Recovery Area.
We facilitate three sessions of operating per day on Mondays to Fridays accommodating both elective and emergency procedures. Where necessary, elective operating is undertaken on Saturdays, and Emergency Theatre capacity is also available at weekends.
The Operating Theatre Department has 35 staff which include Registered Nurses, Registered Operating Department Practitioners (ODPs) and Assistant Theatre Practitioners. This number does not include the many Medical Staff (Surgeons & Anaesthetists) that practice here. Mr Y Ghosh is the Lead Clinician for the Operating Theatre services.
- Each individual operating theatre is well equipped with a ceiling-mounted microscope and either an Alcon Constellation or Alcon Infiniti Vision System. Besides these, we have a number of modern state-of-the-art equipment for safe surgery.
- All patient trolleys are fitted with pressure relieving mattresses.
Implants and Consumables:
A number of initiatives are currently underway to ensure that we are we achieving the best possible balance between quality of materials and value for money. As a department we are working very hard to achieve the cost saving objectives set out within our Transformation Savings Plan.
The IT systems predominantly used within BMEC Theatres are iProcurement. Medisoft and ORMIS.
The Operating Theatre Department is managed by;
- Kevin Mitchell – Theatre Manager
- Brett Thornewell – Theatre Manager
- Iyad Ibrahim – Deputy Theatre Manager
- Liam Butler – Theatre Admin Support Worker
Other Trust Staff Members also located within the department include;
- Nyree Duffy – Vitreo-retinal Co-Ordinator
- Manjit Gill – Human Tissue Authority (HTA) Co-Ordinator
The Theatre Department team members work on a rotational basis around the Theatre complex, with the exception of the individual Theatre Team Leaders.
The table below outlines the profile of each individual Theatre and identifies the Team Leaders;
|Theatre||Team Leader||Types of Surgery||Location|
|One||Sr. J Hunt||Cataract, Oculoplasty, Strabismus & Vitreoretinal||Main Suite|
|Two||C/N M Abdulai||Cataract, Cornea & Oculoplasty||Main Suite|
|Three||Sr. D. Sheilds||Cataract, Glaucoma, Oculoplasty & Vitreoretinal||Main Suite|
|Four||Sr. J. Payton||Cataract & Oculoplasty||Day Surgery Unit|
Main Office 0121 507 6825
Manager 0121 507 6821
Recovery 0121 507 6823
Theatre 1 0121 507 6816
Theatre 2 0121 507 6817
Theatre 3 0121 507 6820
Theatre 4 0121 507 6864