- Accident and Emergency
- Birmingham Behçet’s Syndrome Centre of Excellence
- BMEC Clinical Research Facility
- BMEC Surgical Skills Facility
- Day Surgery Unit
- Eye Clinic Liaison
- Inflammatory Eye Diseases and Immunosuppression
- Inpatient Eye Ward
- Laser Treatment
- Medical Illustration
- Medical Retina
- Neuro-Ophthalmology and Adult Strabismus
- Paediatric Opthalmology
- Patient Transport Services
- Pre-Operative Assesment
- Private Patients
- Visual Function
- Work Experience
The Paediatric Ophthalmology Department manages a large range of eye conditions affecting children. These include common conditions such as eye infections, allergic eye disease, squints and refractive error. In addition we also see children with a range of other conditions including eye problems associated with hearing impairment, developmental problems and inherited eye diseases. We work closely with the Orthoptic team who play a vital role is assessing vision in children.
We offer a range of investigations including comprehensive orthoptic assessment (assessing vision and eye movements in children), retinal imaging using the latest technology and electrodiagnostic tests to determine the health of the various layers that make up the lining at the back of the eye (the retina).
We treat patients in a variety of ways including drops, medications and operations.
Examples of the more specialised services we offer include:
- Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP) Screening and Treatment: A weekly review of premature babies at City Hospital who are at risk of developing problems with the blood vessels at the back of the eye. Babies who have developed significant changes are treated with specialised laser treatment.
We also offer a ROP tertiary referral service for other units both in the West Midlands as well as units further afield when required.
- Monthly Genetics Clinic: Joint clinic with Consultant Paediatric Ophthalmologist and Consultant Geneticist.
Clinics and Referrals:
We accept referrals from throughout Birmingham and beyond. Several other Eye hospitals in the Midlands refer children to us for investigations or treatments that cannot be provided elsewhere in the region, especially treatment of Retinopathy of Prematurity.
Apart from Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre, we have a weekly Paediatric Ophthalmology clinic at Sandwell Hospital.
Paediatric Ophthalmology Team:
The team consists of one consultant Paediatric Ophthalmologists, one consultant Genetecist and two registrars in training. The team works closely with the Orthoptic (Hyperlink to webpage), and Visual Function (Hyperlink to webpage) Departments.
Paediatric Ophthalmology Consultant:
Miss Lucilla Butler
Dr Denise Williams
Head Orthoptist – Miss Rosie Auld
Secretary – Pauline Adams
Tel: 0121 507 6788
Sandwell General Hospital
Secretary – Trudy Edmunds
Tel: 0121 507 3207