This was established in 1948 and has a present day staff of two full-time opticians, and nine sessional staff. The services may be divided into three categories: 1] Refraction, 2] Contact lens clinic, and 3] Low visual aids which may be sub-divided into optical aids, and electronic aids. The department is one of only five centres in the United Kingdom giving an electronic aids service, e.g. closed circuit television, and works in conjunction with the Manpower Services Commission. The service is inter regional.