The new Temple Row property carried a public house licence; the hospital governors renovated the public house, letting it out to a tenant. The hospital continued to own this inn for the next 20 years.
Meetings were held in February 1880 as the hospital continued to grow to discuss remodeling the hospital on Temple Row to accommodate more patients. Architects involved in the plans for the remodel thought that in order to build a hospital large enough to accommodate its growth in patient numbers the building would have to be too tall to comply to the existing rights of light in place at the time.
By December 1881 these concerns had been resolved and the design for the building was agreed. The new building would include a waiting room to accommodate 200 people, two main wards, two contagious wards, an operating theatre, nurse’s rooms and a library.
The finished four-storey building designed in a Franco-Italian style by Payne & Talbot was officially opened on the 26th July 1884 by Lady Leigh, whose husband Lord Leigh had been president of the hospital.
In June 1892 an application to purchase a property in Edmund Street that adjoined the hospital was made. This property became a new wing opened in November 1895 by Viscountess Newport. This allowed the hospital to provide a children’s ward, an additional male ward and a pathology laboratory.